Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 14, 2014

ICAD 43, 44

ICAD43- Violin- I had grand ideas about this card.. They didn't happen. I had dyed the card with tea but I wanted it much darker. Perhaps experimenting with distressed inks would've been MUCH more effective.  I also wanted a violin printed in color. I wanted to get the card done so I just finished with the violin I had. :/ I think I'm getting worse.
The text is from Exodus 15:2-" The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." I wanted to include a verse that had to do with praising God with music but all of them either mentioned praising him by singing or playing a specific instrument- that was not the violin. My music teacher OCD wouldn't allow me to have a violin and a text that said something else- seriously.

    I like ICAD44 better- This is a kokeshi doll. I folded it based on a template. I put it over a card with gesso and attached a piece of my scrap paper towels. Unfortunately, I don't have any Mod Podge. What I used to seal/attach it (Made the card above way too shiny) took out some of the color in the kokeshi doll and didn't seal as well as I would've liked. Overall, I'm happy with it. It is very different for me.
Kokeshi dolls are traditionally wooden dolls from northern Japan. According to Wikipedia, "They are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and an enlarged head with a few thin, painted lines to define the face."  I was unaware of kokeshi dolls before today.
    Tomorrow's prompt is "dala horse," which is a traditional, Swedish, wooden horse. I think I might attempt to paint one. I also did not know what dala horses were, though I own a similar elephant brought to me by a student. It is originally from India.
     If you are a reader from a different country, what is a traditional craft that your country is known for?

No comments:

Post a Comment